Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Desperation?

This might look like a lot of graffiti, but trust me - for this site, it's a pittance. It's been some months since I have been back to this location, but I have noticed a few trends since I started asking the RTA to clean it up.


First, after each cleaning, it is taking longer and longer for the wall to fill up with graffiti, and there is less of it. The density of graffiti is perhaps half what it was a year ago. When it does return, it takes 3 or 4 times as long for the same level of graffiti to be re-applied. Constant cleaning is demotivating some vandals.


Secondly, the vandals have moved away from spray paint to other forms of markers. This wall used to be 100% spray paint. From what I can tell, the current crop of graffiti is 0% spray paint. I don't know if that is because spray paint is harder to acquire for nefarious purposes, or because this particular group has a thing for other media. As you can see from the image above, some of the markers that they are using wash off in the rain. Are they getting desperate?


Thirdly, the markers that they are using are not as effective as spray paint. The one above appears to be a fat crayon, and that is easy to remove.

Tell me though - is there one scintilla of artistic merit in any of the items above?

No comments: