Sunday, June 8, 2008

Burnt out car

This photo was taken in a Leichhardt park back in April.  By the time I took this photo, I reckon it had been sitting there for a week.


When I see things like this, I usually take a photo of a nearby street sign or other location indicator so that I can accurately reports its position.  In this case, it was in the car park of King George Park.



My email to Leichhardt Council:

There is a burnt out car in the car park of King George Park, of
Manning St, Rozelle. I'm not sure how long it has been there, but can
you please arrange to have it removed.


-----------

Council response:

Thank you for your email received 30/04/08.  Another resident had already informed us of this car.  Because the car is burnt out it is the matter for Police and possible Insurance Company.

---------------------------------

I could have left it at that, but I didn't.  The response said that it was a matter for the Police, but no mention was made of whether anyone at Council had bothered to contact the Police.

So I looked at the Police website, found the number for the Police Assistance Line (131 444) and rang them.  They gave me an event number - 33042730 - and I left it for a few weeks to see if anything happened.  When I rang the PAL, I specifically told them that Council would not do anything about it until the Police had cleared them to remove it, and I wanted to be sure that the two organisations were talking to each other.  All too often, the paperwork slips between the cracks of the bureaucracy.

I rang the PAL again today and found that the local Police had in fact removed the number plates and told Council that the car could go.  I just happened to be in the area this afternoon, and when I went past the car park, the car had in fact gone.

It may well have been removed without me doing anything at all, but I work on the principal of assuming nothing - I assume that no one else is going to lift a finger until proven otherwise.  As an old boss used to tell me, "Assume makes an ass out of u and me".

No comments: