Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Taking out the trash

Hang around the waterfront long enough, and you might get to see one of these NSW Maritime boats cruising past on its way to pick up a load of rubbish from the rubbish traps at the end of the canals that empty into the harbour.


This canal runs under the City West Link and empties into the harbour at Haberfield.  I walk through the park that runs along the canal on a regular basis, and the amount of floating debris in the canal has to be seen to be believed.  If it wasn't for these traps, you'd be able to walk across the harbour on the rubbish that washes down from further upstream.


This is the second time I've seen this being done, but I didn't manage to get any photos first time around.  The first time I saw a trap being emptied, it was full to the brim.  You can get a good idea of how big the traps are by comparing this one to the deckhands.  I don't know if NSW Maritime goes through the garbage and analyses it, but to me, it appears to be about 90% plastic bottles.


1 comment:

kae said...

Washing in from the stormwater?