Sunday, April 12, 2009

It's the little things

I care about public assets because I use them reasonably often, and so do my kids.  If they are broken (for whatever reason), they are no good to anyone.  We, the taxpayer, paid for these things - and I want to get my money's worth out of them.

Here we have a simple thing - a torn sun shade over the playground in Five Dock Park.  This tear is currently 3-4 feet long.  This sun shade has plenty of patches on it, so it's obviously been torn before, either through tree branches falling on it or wind damage.

I've reported this tear because if left untreated, it will simply grow and grow until the entire sun shade is a write off.  Instead of a cheap patch job, we rate payers will have to pay a lot more for its replacement.  

As the old saying goes, a stitch in time saves nine......

If you care about keeping your rates down, the least you can do is tell your local Council about damage at an early stage so that it can be repaired at low cost.  

No comments: