Friday, April 17, 2009

When a filthy McDonalds can be a good thing

Adelaide Now asks if they have found the filthiest fast food joint in Australia.

When I first saw the video of the mess in this restaurant at 3am, I was disgusted.  Then I thought that perhaps this is not so bad - if you forced the little pigs with no manners that made this mess to eat elsewhere, all they'll do is throw this litter on the ground in a public place.  I'd prefer to have all the rubbish collected in one spot, where it is easy to gather it up and dispose of it, than to have it scattered throughout our streets and parks.

Furthermore, the restaurant that produced these wrappings and drink containers is also responsible for cleaning them up if they are dumped on the premises.  If they are taken away and dumped in a park, it is somebody else's problem.

I can't see any blame being attached to McDonalds here, or any other fast food establishment. Some of their customers are simply pigs.  Last weekend, I watched a teenager walking through a local park and she casually tossed her Subway drink cup over her shoulder and onto the grass. For some people, making a mess is a "heroic" statement.  Apart from installing a trough for these people to eat from, I'm not sure what else we can do.

No comments: