Monday, October 13, 2008

How to annoy Energy Australia

I put in another 5 minutes of phone work today with Energy Australia and reported another 7 substations or "kiosks" that need repainting.  I think that makes 15 in the last week that I have reported.
  • Substation 3219 - ref 500058614
  • Substation k2051 -  ref 500058615
  • Substation cp228 ref 500058616
  • Substation at manning & springside ref 500058617
  • Substation 4082 - ref 500058618
  • Substation 2178 -  ref 500058619
  • Substation at Barnstaple & Trevanion ref 500058630
My hope is that they will get sick of me calling every few days to report another batch and simply go out and inspect all the kiosks in the area and repaint those that need a cleanup.  Why should I have to tell them about a problem with their assets?  It seems bizarre, but if that's the way they want to play the game, then I am up for it.  It's no skin off my nose to take a few photos and make a few phone calls.






I do wonder whether Energy Australia bothers to report each incident of a vandalised substation to the Police, so that each one generates an individual crime number (or COPS event number as they call them).  I get the feeling that if I ask Energy Australia for the COPS event numbers for all the reports I've put in, they won't respond.  I guess I could try to find out via an FOI application, or I could ask a sympathetic MP to ask a question in Parliament for me.  I'll see how I feel about that next week.

Here is the kicker - I spotted this RTA vehicle parked almost next to one of the vandalised substations above.  I guess the driver lives in that street (nice street for an RTA employee to live in by the way).  

Now why is this important, you ask?

Because it says volumes about the corporate culture of the RTA (as do the photos that I published on the weekend of Energy Australia employees driving blithely past one of their vandalised substations).  If the RTA had a serious culture of looking after their assets, then their staff would show a concern for all public assets.

I used to work in a company that pushed a very strong safety culture.  I imbibed that culture, and have since applied it at other companies that I have worked at.  I also apply the same principles at home.  Friends who have worked at other safety conscious companies say the same thing about their behaviour.  I reckon the same would go for vandalism - if the company you worked for had a very strong anti-vandalism culture, you'd always carry that around with you, regardless of whether you were at work or home.

The above photo suggests to me a culture of "couldn't give a bugger".

No comments: