Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Who should pick this up?

I think I forgot to include this in my recent batch of photos from Five Dock Park.  It looked to me like some kids had organised a party in the park, and the result was broken bottles here, there and everywhere.

I reported this to Council on Monday morning (not this one beer bottle - the dozen or more smashed ones around the grandstand, and others like this one scattered through the BBQ area).

From now on, I'm going to take a plastic bag and my folding picker-upper grabby thing to the park so that I can take care of little "accidents" like this one beer bottle.  I feel some satisfaction knowing that Council will take care of cleaning this up, but it wouldn't make me feel any better to learn that between me spotting it and Council removing it, that a kid had stepped on this glass and ended up in hospital with a foot full of stitches.  

The park is not my personal property.

I didn't break the beer bottle.

But I still think that the best thing I can do is pick it up as soon as I see it and chuck it in the bin.  Reporting it to Council is the least worst option.  

Whatever you do, don't take the worst option, which is to walk past and treat it as somebody else's problem.  That sucks almost as badly as the little cretin who deliberately broke this bottle in the first place.

No comments: