Saturday, August 2, 2008

Australia Post - letter to Chairman

I think this is pretty self-explanatory.
--------------

Mr David Mortimer

Chairman

Australia Post
GPO Box 1777

Melbourne Vic 3001


31 July 2008

  

Dr Mr Mortimer 

Australia Post policy on graffiti removal 

I am have contacted Australia Post twice in the last three months in relation to having graffiti removed from Australia Post assets.  Once via letter and once over the phone. 

The response to date has not been up to the standard that I would expect from your organisation, which is why I am writing to you. 

I have posted a series of photos of vandalised letter boxes and Post Offices at: 

http://notsep.blogspot.com/2008/07/australia-post-tagged-to-death.html 

These were all taken in Lane Cove, Drummoyne, Five Dock, North Strathfield, Concord and Lilyfield between May and July 2008. 

My concern is that Australia Post appears to be making no effort whatsoever to remove graffiti from any of its assets in these areas.  Your staff and contractors appear to have no interest in reporting graffiti on letter boxes and Post Offices, and little interest in removing it even when it is reported. 

Your staff or contractors visit letter boxes every working day.  I would have thought that if graffiti appeared on a letterbox overnight, they would make note of it and report it to the Hub Manager when dropping off their daily collections.   

This does not appear to be the case.  I have watched letter boxes being emptied twice in the last month, and on both occasions, the people taking the mail away paid no attention to the graffiti smothered liberally over the letter box in question.  

You have staff working in Post Offices that have graffiti sprayed on every external surface, yet they appear to be blissfully unaware of it.  Are you issuing blinkers with your company uniforms? 

I have searched your website, and can find no useful information on graffiti and your approach to it.  As far as I can tell, there is no publicly available information on how members of the public can report damage to your assets.

I am therefore requesting the following: 

  1. that you send me a copy of your policy on graffiti removal (assuming that Australia Post has a documented policy)
  2. that you communicate this policy to your front line managers, and re-iterate the need for contractors and staff to immediately report all graffiti on Australia Post assets
  3. that you ram the message home to Hub Managers that graffiti must be removed as rapidly as possible – 24 hours is the universally accepted standard in most organisations that have a graffiti problem
  4. that you explain to me how your graffiti removal process works (assuming that Australia Post has a documented process).

 I am not going to tell you where I took the photos that I have posted on my website, because if you undertake the first three measures above, your staff should have found all of these vandalised assets and taken care of them within a few days. 

I look forward to your response. 

Yours sincerely


No comments: