Sunday, August 17, 2008

Fresh graffiti around the Five Dock library

It's Ferragosto today, and the efforts by Council to smarten up the main street of Five Dock have been partly undone by someone with a spray can.  On Saturday morning, I noticed fresh graffiti around the library, which also has a supermarket on the ground floor.  The first photo is of a shop across the street from the library - I didn't walk down the laneway going off to the right, but I suspect that whoever did this latest bit of vandalism probably walked down that lane and hit the back of all the shops along it.


The side of the library.  I have been shopping here for a few years now, and I have never seen fresh graffiti in this area - all the tags around this stretch look ancient.  It's well lit, next to the Police Station and due to the late hours of the supermarket, there are always pedestrians walking up and down this laneway.  But none of that has deterred someone.



I don't know if the graffiti truck works on weekends, so I will let Council know first thing Monday - unless the manager of the supermarket has already reported it.  I might see if I can talk to the manager about it - I'd prefer that the manager reports it, and takes ownership of the problem so that if it happens again, they'll take care of it.

I took a photo of the half-painted white wall shown here because this wall used to be bare brick, and had graffiti in several spots.  I am going to assume here that the owner has gotten sick of it, and has decided to paint the wall to make it easier to clean off future graffiti.  Even from across the street, I could see graffiti on the seat at the bus stop.


No comments: