Friday, July 11, 2008

Friday's snapshots

I went out today for about 2 hours and took 111 photos in the area between Five Dock and North Strathfield.  If you are looking for a snapshot of the state of graffiti in the Canada Bay area, you have come to the right place.

We start at the corner of Trevanion St and Barnstaple Rd, Five Dock.  This house is occupied (I have driven past and seen the occupants coming out of the front door), but it has been in this condition for months.  I contacted Council about it last year, and it was painted shortly afterwards, but it has since returned to this condition without the residents seeming to care a whit.  There is a large plate glass window at the front of the house (I presume it used to be a corner shop) and there is no graffiti on the window.

What sort of person doesn't bother to clean graffiti off their front window?



Predictably, the substation next to this house is covered in graffiti.



This is just around the corner on Lyons Rd - the front wall of a private house.



Another shot of Lyons Rd.



I have included this photo because when I drove past this morning, there was a painter out the front of this building slapping on a new coat of paint.  Until today, this was the most vandalised building on Lyons Rd, and possibly in the entire Five Dock/Drummoyne area.  I was hoping to get a photo of it in its previous condition, and to then contact the businesses that inhabit this building and ask them to do something about it.

Thankfully, they beat me to the punch.  Saves me some work.



This is a view of the same building - the side wall used to be more tags than paint.  Predictably, the only defaced item left is the RTA signal control box on the corner.



More businesses on Lyons Rd - these are almost opposite the building above.



More of Lyons Rd.



I put this photo in because it is just around the corner from the vandalised shops and businesses shown above.  I didn't want to give the impression that Five Dock is like the Bronx, circa 1980.  Most of Five Dock consists of lovely, tree lined streets like this with quaint old detached houses.  I thought that this street was a good example of the state of much of our suburb - graffiti free and nice to live in.

Except that as I went down the street, I found one vandalised fence.  Ah well, can't win them all.



I post photos of graffiti and other horrible stuff because I want it to be fixed - I want all of our suburb to look like this.

No comments: